[O] Use org for jobs/resume writing?

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: [O] Use org for jobs/resume writing?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:09:49 -0500

Sorry, I don't know the alt-key code for the "e" at the end of resume :-)

I was looking at the export-to-odt functionality and thought about
re-doing my resume (the content) in .org, then exporting it to .odt for
some cleanup / formatting.

Does anyone else do something similar?

I would also think that the HTML export would be useful for resume
writing.

Using org mode for resume writing would have some advantages, in my opinion.

* the ability to easily search / track the resumes that I've sent or concocted
* Much easier to alter / remove bullet points that you want to send to
a potential
employer.  For example, you could have a setup like this:

* Export
** Job #1
*** Did this
*** Did that
**

* Potential
** Job #1
*** Did something that doesn't pertain to the current job I'm sending
a resume to, but I want to keep this for later

I suck at Word/Open Office, so I cringe whenever I have to update my
resume.  Yet, when applying to jobs, it's really a good idea to
customize the resume to highlight experience & skills according to the
job you're applying for.

I tried using markdown & Latex for my resumes, but I couldn't get a
really good looking resume because I suck at Latex and couldn't find
any good looking Latex resumes on the 'Net that I liked.

Now that org has odt-export and of course HTML, etc. I'm re-thinking using .org
for resume writing.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
--Nate