Re: [O] getorg.sh script

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] getorg.sh script
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:04:47 -0400

Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> writes:

> These days I use this when an org-mode update fails and I have to erase
> the whole org-mode directory tree and clone org-mode again.
> Cut here.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #file getorg.sh - run git to update local org repository.
> if [ -r ~/org-mode  ]; then
> echo "updating emacs-org-mode"
> cd org-mode
> git pull
> make all
> sudo make install
> sudo make install-info
> exit 0
> fi
> echo "getting new clone of emacs-org-mode"
> mkdir org-mode
> cd ~/org-mode
> git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> make all
> sudo make install
> sudo make install-info
>
> cut here.
> I learned some additional bash shell technique as a result of having
> written this script so am happy to have done it and gained the experience.

Hi Jude,

In what situations does org-mode update fail?  I've never had to reclone
the org-mode repository - ever.  If git update fails, just do it again.
Recloning means you need to download all of the objects for org-mode
again which should never be necessary.

If you've messed up your local master branch somehow and want to revert
back to the official 'master' branch then just

$ git checkout master
$ git reset --hard origin/master

which throws away any local commits and uncommitted changes in your
working directory.

I fail to understand why you would ever need this script.  Can you
please elaborate?

Thanks,
Bernt