Re: [O] Point jumps when changing timestamps

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Point jumps when changing timestamps
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:39:00 -0500

> Hello,
>
> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I often change timestamps  with S-Left or S-Right when the cursor is at
>> the point immediately following the timestamp:
>>
>> <2011-08-03 Wed .+1d>
>>                      ^ cursor here
>>
>> When I call S-Left or S-Right at this point, the cursor jumps to the
>> last character of the day of week abbreviation:
>>
>> <2011-08-04 Thu .+1d>
>>               ^ cursor now here
>>
>> The cursor does not jump if it is already located within the brackets.
>
> I understand your point but I think Org shouldn't let you use
> `org-shiftleft' at this place in the first place. In my opinion,
> `org-at-timestamp-p' is faulty here.

A bit more generous org-at-timestamp-p does have some practical
advantages: it can save cursor movement when navigating an org document.
For instance, when navigating the following headline, I would typically
type C-n C-e to go to the end of the scheduled line. That puts the
cursor at the point directly after the scheduled timestamp:

* A headline
  SCHEDULED: <2011-08-04 Thu>
                             ^ i.e., here

Having to move the cursor backwards one point would add a little bit of
inconvenience.

> I know there is currently in that function a workaround to return t when
> point is at the char just after the time-stamp, but it just doesn't
> sound right to me.

I believe the current behavior of org-at-timestamp-p is consistent with
that of the *-at-point functions. For instance if I call M-:
(word-at-point) on the example below with the cursor immediately
following the word, emacs returns "word".

word
    ^ cursor here

Best,
Matt