Re: [O] Not merging org-lparse, org-xhtml & org-odt to the core

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Not merging org-lparse, org-xhtml & org-odt to the core
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:59:16 +0200

Hi Jambunathan,

I'm glad you decided to continue sharing your improvements to the
Org=>ODT exporter with the rest of the world.

I suggest the merge of this exporter into Org's core goes through
these steps:

1. Make sure there is no name clash on 8+3 systems.  As per
   last git version of Org, these two files in contrib/odt/OASIS
   will clash:

   OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-manifest-schema.rng
   OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-schema.rng

2. Make sure there is no license problem with the schema files.
   My model here is emacs/etc/schemas/ where:

   - the README file clearly says what files have what permissions;
   - most of the time, when the copyright does not belong to the FSF,
     permissions are stated directly within the file.

     See emacs/etc/schema/calstbl.rnc for example.

   When checking OpenDocument-schema-v1.1.rng from Org's contrib
   directory (I've only checked this one) I saw a non-FSF copyright with
   no license mentioned, so I thought this could be a problem.  If this
   is not a problem, I need to understand why -- perhaps this will not
   be a problem because the license of the file will be mentioned in
   etc/schema/README.

3. Last but not least, I would like us to work on merging org-html.el
   and org-xhtml.el.  I know this is a daunting task, but there is too
   much duplicate code in these two files, the more we wait, the heavier
   the maintainance burden will be.  I'm open to any suggestion that
   would spare us this (boring) work...

Let me know what you think about my suggestion above.

I am not a professional programmer and I'm always willing to learn,
so please bare with me.

Best,

--
 Bastien