Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:15:04 +0200

Hi Achim, Jason and Matt

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 21:37, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:
>> For .git/config I am not sure if it can be made a versioned git repo
>> element. If not, I don't know how it can become part of the transfer
>> during git pull which it should be in any case. Proposal for the
>> content (changed from first post):
>
> You can't and I don't think that is an oversight.  As a general
> principle such configurations should not be part of the repository at
> all.  Please note that if you do configure it that way locally, all
> tools in git will show all diffs in the new format, so there is nothing
> lost if everybody doesn't have the same configuration.

Thanks for the clarification. Because I didn't expect this at all it
took me some time to understand that a local config affects also the
diffs already committed, not only "git diff" of uncommitted changes.
Neat.

But aren't there still things lost when one does this only locally?
1) The web browser view of the git repos
   http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git, its delayed mirror
   http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git and http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git
   (for code/elisp/): Can be solved by configuring these three
   repos locally.
2) When reading patches submitted to the mailing list: Here I don't
   know the solution. In my simple trial, .gitattributes was not
   available in its clone done afterwards.

@Jason and Matt: At least, changing 1) alone would already help. What
do you think?

Michael