Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:06:58 +0900

Hi Eric,
Hi Seb,

Eric Schulte wrote:
We could open an older file and if it isn't working, we could try

#+PROPERTY: babel-function-set obsolete

I think that making use of such a feature is almost as onerous as
changing to the new terms (which is a simple search replace, in fact
once terms are selected I'll happily share a function on list which can
be used to convert all old terms in existing Org-mode files).

Ok, I agree with both of you. Keeping obsolete functions active might be more difficult then just asking people to change the tiny bits and pieces. I like the idea to having a function to convert old syntax to new syntax (semi)automatically. Python did the same with there 2to3 script and I was able to convert large parts of my scripts without problems.

Only make sure that the BIG BANG is really loud reaching all babelers out there (including the ones not on this mailing list and not reading changelogs)

Maybe an additional function could be called for a certain time whenever old syntax is found (just a list of keywords) generating a warning that this code is obsolete pointing to a special chapter in the manual to help with conversion. That would help people to understand what is going on rather then getting a standard error message for code which run perfectly fine a few months ago. Remember, people might upgrade to emacs24 and they might not be aware that this includes updates to org-mode and org-babel.

Anyhow I would like to offer to help with the manual (my lisp is to poor to help with coding). There should be a new section which helps old-babeler to change there code to the newest syntax, explain shortly changes in the syntax, etc. A two column table is often used for this
| old syntax | replaced now by |
| #+BABEL:   | #+ PROPERTIES   |
Followed by some more explanation or a link to the (rewritten) manual section.

Totti