Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:38:50 +0200

On 10/24/11 2:11 PM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
(...)

But I just have a comment on your second advantage, something that can render
your example inefficient: inheritance is not on by default, and you need to
enable if for *specific properties*.

You can set `org-use-property-inheritance' to t, to make all properties inheritable, or you can set it to a list to enable specific properties. I suppose you meant that the former would be a bad idea. (And it could be, depending on your working habits, file size, outline nesting depth and the speed of your machine.)

But you're right, property inheritance is not on by default and I forgot to mention that this time around. (I think I did mention it in the previous long message where I presented the idea.)

Make it on by default would be a very bad idea -- just think at examples of
the mails sent through Org-mime: what about setting a Cc or To somewhere and
inheriting that in all the file/subtree/etc. May be scary or inefficient
performance-wise?

Anyway, setting inheritance of properties to on, means you should declare the
behavior for vars x, y and z, ie declaring it 3 times... Except, maybe, if you
say that "var: x, y, z" does that too (then you've two things in one shot --
why not?).

Yes, if my suggestion becomes reality, this could be a useful refinement.

Yours,
Christian