Re: [O] calendar date adjustments blocked

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] calendar date adjustments blocked
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 07:26:57 +0100

On 5.11.2011, at 03:03, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I needed to enter information for two dates in org-mode and went into
>> calendar using c-c+! and got the current date as expected then hit c-b to
>> move the date to yesterday and pointer remained on today's date.  So I
>> ended up hitting <cr> on today's date and editing it in the actual org
>> file and filling the rest of my entry in after it.  Then I repeated the
>> operation for today and entered today's information.  I was a bit
>> surprised that the date was locked like that once calendar mode was
>> entered but managed a workaround anyway.
>>

> I guess your problem is that the calendar is indeed popped up, but the cursor
> is still in the daytime prompt in the minibuffer. As Bernt points out, typing
> -2 at that point gets you to the right date.
>
> The calendar seems to be for inveterate mouser users, not keyboard
> types: even if I C-x o to the calendar window, the cursor ends up not on
> today's date but off to the right somewhere and I get an error message:
>
> ,----
> | Error in post-command-hook (org-read-date-display): (buffer-read-only
> *Calendar*)
> `----
>
> Not sure what's going on there: I expected that after I switched windows
> to the Calendar, my cursor would be on today's date.

The popup calender in Org is a special construct that hijacks key presses
so that all control can be done from the minibuffer, without switching to the
calender buffer itself.  This has side effects if you try to move
into the calendar buffer window anyway.

Bernt showed one way to specify the date.  You can also click on the date
to get it selected immediately.  Or you can use S-left twice to get the date
selected with the shadow cursor in the calendar window.  There are more
key presses that manipulate the calendar window from the minibuffer, see

http://orgmode.org/manual/Creating-timestamps.html#Creating-timestamps

HTH

- Carsten