[O] Bugs/features of accumulating property values when used with entries

From: Christoph LANGE
Subject: [O] Bugs/features of accumulating property values when used with entries (concretely: in org-contacts)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:28:52 +0100

Dear all,

noticing the new feature "Property names ending in + accumulate" (as described on http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#accumulating-property-keywords – BTW, this exposes another issue with the fixed head bar on the new homepage, as the actual link target is hidden by the head bar), I thought I could use it in the property drawers of the entries of my org-contacts file, and noticed the following problems:

1. font lock (aka syntax highlighting) does not yet recognize :PROPERTY+:

2. accumulation doesn't work within the same entry; details follow:

For some of my contacts I'd like to record multiple phone numbers or e-mail addresses. So far I have been doing that in an ad hoc manner, e.g.

* Contact Name
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EMAIL:    address@hidden, address@hidden
  :END:

While I have not yet automated my usage of org-contacts, I thought it would be more scalable and more accessible to future scripting if multi-valued properties had a clear multi-value representation. (So the feature is not yet mission-critical for me.) I thought that the new accumulation feature might be suitable for that. (Or did I misunderstand the feature?)

So when I changed the above contact entry to

* Contact Name
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EMAIL:    address@hidden
  :EMAIL+:   address@hidden
  :END:

I would have expected (org-entry-get (point) "EMAIL" t) to evaluate to, well, at least "address@hidden address@hidden" (and in some later version of org-mode maybe to a two-item list, for even easier automated processing). But I got the following unexpected results, which indicate that accumulation is not yet supported in this context (well, if it was ever _intended_…):

(org-entry-get (point) "EMAIL" t)  → "address@hidden"
(org-entry-get (point) "EMAIL+" t) → "address@hidden"

Cheers, and thanks for any help,

Christoph

PS: org-contacts may not be the best tool to use anyway. I like it so far, but if you know a better alternative that satisfies my requirements, I'd appreciate hints. My requirements so far are: * easily capturing information about contacts (addresses, birthdays, but also arbitrary other information)
* grouping contacts (e.g. by tagging them)
* linking to contacts from other org files
* for easy display and editing (e.g. like org columns)

--
Christoph Lange, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701