Re: [O] Org-mode performance

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode performance
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:14:31 +0100

* Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
> * Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it's the number of files... I have 91 files (including .org and
>> .org_archive) totalling 12M without any issues.
>
> In the Memacs-project[1] we do face certain performance issues with
> large data sets in Org-mode. Therefore we are currently developing
> and running benchmarks.
>
> I'll post here the results.
>
>   1. https://github.com/novoid/Memacs

We've got some simple benchmark results for larger data sets within
Org-mode files:

https://github.com/novoid/Memacs/blob/master/performance.org
(Sorry, «many Org-mode files» was no issue at our side, so we did
not research into that.)

In short:
* Best performance: only without any drawers at all
* Acceptable performance when using another drawer than :PROPERTIES:
* Worst performance when using :PROPERTIES: drawer

So if you want to have many entries in Org-mode files, avoid drawers
if you can. If you need a drawer, probably choose to define your own
drawer.

--
Karl Voit