Re: [O] Agenda buffer and relative links

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Agenda buffer and relative links
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 21:58:43 +0100

Hi François,

François Pinard wrote:
> address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:
>
>> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>> that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well.
>
> Hmph, I now wonder if the link is bidirectional, and if messages posted
> to gmane.emacs.orgmode actually end up on address@hidden  I'm
> repeating it all below, quoted.  (Would someone be kind enough to tell
> me if it was seen on the mailing list?)

I saw your posting of 18:39... Reading this ML through Gmane, though.

> A good solution imposed itself to my mind, a few minutes ago.  I do not
> know how easy to implement it would be however.
>
> The real problem is that relative links within the agenda buffer are
> interpreted relative to the directory (M-x pwd) of the agenda buffer.
> Happily enough, each line of the agenda buffer is somehow associated
> with the buffer it comes from.  Links within the agenda should be
> interpreted relative to the base directory of the buffer they come from,
> rather than from the agenda buffer itself.

I must admit I'm not hit -- yet? -- by your problem, as I "never" (I should
never say that) have links in my headings. So, what I would do, is jump to the
referenced heading (using RET or SPC) and activate it from there.

BTW, just to confirm, is it the same is the link is in the very first line
under a heading, and made visible from the agenda through `E':

    ┏━━━━
    ┃ E runs the command org-agenda-entry-text-mode, which is an interactive
Lisp
    ┃ function in `org-agenda.el'.
    ┃
    ┃ It is bound to E, <menu-bar> <Agenda> <View> <Show some entry text>.
    ┃
    ┃ (org-agenda-entry-text-mode &optional ARG)
    ┃
    ┃ Toggle entry text mode in an agenda buffer.
    ┗━━━━

>> "Sebastien Vauban"
>> <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Hi François,

>>> Would this help you?
>
>>>     ┏━━━━
>>>     ┃ org-link-file-path-type is a variable defined in `org.el'.
>>>     ┗━━━━
>
>> Maybe, I might even end up using it, who knows.  It does not solve the
>> problem I tried to describe.  Relative links allow for moving whole
>> hierarchies elsewhere, so the current default Org behaviour is good.
>
>> But not good enough for the agenda buffer.  Links do not always work in
>> there, and this is the problem to solve.  The problem has ramifications.
>
>> François
>
>> P.S. Nice way to quote, by the way! :-)

M-x boxquote, with custom settings.

Best regards,