[O] Babel problem (was how do scientists use org mode?)

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Babel problem (was how do scientists use org mode?)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 11:27:54 -0600

Hi Chris; this digressed enough into a babel problem that I started a
new subject for the list.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Christopher W. Ryan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Just tried a similar thing on my computer at work: WinXP, emacs-22.3.1,
> org-mode 7.7.  I tried both R and python.  With this in my .emacs file:
>
> ;; active Babel languages
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>  'org-babel-load-languages
>  '((R . t)
>   (python . t)
>   ))
>
> Here are the contents of the org file I am playing with:
>
> #+begin_src R
> rnorm(10)
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src python
> print "Hello, World!"
> #+end_src
>

> C-c C-c the first block results in a message like this:
>
> Evaluate this R code block on your system? (yes or no)
>
> Answering yes yields:
>
> No org-babel-execute function for R!
>
> Trying the same in the python block yields the same results, except with
> "python" substituted for "R" in all the messages.
>
> Any suggestions where I am going wrong?

Silly question... do you have both R and python installed on your
computer? Perhaps provide the paths of your R and python executable
files. Win settings can be tricky sometimes. Another question would
be, how do you typically use R and python directly?

John