Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Changing [X] by something else
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:44:12 -0500

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

> along the lines of http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrettyLambda

Thanks for this pointer, which I saved for later study.

>> I notice in org.el that [X] is hard-wired, while I would have liked the
>> possibility of changing it by [✓] in my things, which I find both softer
>> and cleaner.

> How about a variation of this

>   (font-lock-add-keywords
>    'org-mode `(("\\[X\\]"
>                 (0 (progn (compose-region (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
>                                           "")
>                           nil)))))

New concepts for me in this `compose-region'!  Handa-san strikes again! :-)

I confess I do not understand much of it.  Ctrl-S being turned into a
rectangle is mysterious.  Is it the standard way for Emacs to tell about
a non-printable character?  The documentation of font-lock-add-keywords
does not hint me at what may be those S-exprs which are not faces.

Moreover, the effect is a bit tiny or shy, at least compared to what I
expected.  The suggestions of John Miller yield tiny characters as well.
Presumably, I could try to see if I can force higher font sizes, but
that would be diving deeper into trickery, and away from other problems.
Despite the undoubtedly ingenious suggestion, I guess I'll merely stick
with what Org mode already offers, as it's the best I got so far! :-)

In any case, I'm grateful for your interest, and for sharing ideas.

François