Re: [O] I'm tripping over #+BABEL: vs. #+PROPERTY:

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] I'm tripping over #+BABEL: vs. #+PROPERTY:
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:14:13 -0400

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Nick and Eric,
>
> Nick Dokos wrote:
> > Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you press C-c C-c on each property line after it was written?
> >
> > Just to clarify: do I really have to C-c C-c on each line? If I add a
> > bunch of them and then do C-c C-c on one of them, shouldn't that be
> > enough to refresh the setup?
>
> I got no reaction on my idea of "automagic C-c C-c" (on 2012-03-04 Sun, see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg52739.html):
>
>     The "automagic C-c C-c" should be NOT[1] done after each key press or some
>     such. That certainly would be a killer feature, in its real acception:
>     performance would be unbearable.
>
>     In my mind, automatically (re-)parsing the meta options should be each
> time
>     the user presses `C-c C-v C-e' (eval code blocks); that is, when the user
>     expects his options to be taken into account.
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] This word was missing (in the original post)!

Well, it might make sense but you can try it out and let us know:

- make files with 10, 100, 1000 trivial (or even empty) code blocks,
  just enough to make sure that org-babel-execute-maybe is really called
  on them: I think that it will be called even on empty code blocks, but
  I'm not sure if there is some optimization in there.

- measure the time it takes to export each one to html (say).

- add a call to org-mode-restart into org-babel-execute-maybe, and time
  the same operation again: how significant is the slowdown?

If the slowdown is bearable in these cases, then it will be bearable in
realistic situations, where block execution is going to be a much more
significant fraction of the total.

BTW, what's the biggest file you (all, not just Seb) have in terms of the
number of code blocks it contains? In my case, the largest one had about
two dozen code blocks, so the 100 case would easily cover me, but I suspect
there are much bigger ones out there.

Nick