Re: [O] Flexible plain list bullets

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Flexible plain list bullets
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:18:02 +0200

Hello,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Attached is a patch that adds a customization variable for setting
> which characters you can use as bullets in plain lists.  Unicode has
> all kinds of pretty characters like ❧ or ☞ that would be good for
> bullets, why limit ourselves to just [-+*]?

This has been discussed recently of the ML.  At that time, many
developers didn't like the idea of Unicode bullets.  I still don't.

> The variable's "set" function sets associated other related variables,
> regular expressions using it, treating "*" specially since it isn't
> a plain-list bullet at the beginning of a line.  Care is taken that
> the character "-" does not wind up in the middle of the character
> range (but there isn't special processing for "]", and maybe there
> should be).

If I understand it correctly, `org-list-full-item-re' wouldn't be set
for users not going through the Customize interface. If that's true, it
would be bad.

> Please take a look, see if it's worth adding tell me what else I need
> to do if necessary.  Thanks!

If you really want to beautify your Org files, you may, instead,
implement a minor mode adding customizable Unicode characters as
overlays on every bullet in the buffer.  I bet some users would
appreciate it.

Nicolas Goaziou