Re: [O] bug#11249: 24.1.50; Overlay with face property causes calendar b

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: [O] bug#11249: 24.1.50; Overlay with face property causes calendar buffer to scroll
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:34:06 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 01:57:55PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Toby Cubitt <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Another solution would be to enlarge the calendar window by one line.
> >
> > I've attached a patch that does exactly this. As expected, it fixes the
> > bug for me.
> >
> > As discussed previously, the alternative solution would be to change the
> > default face used to highlight the current date to something that doesn't
> > set the :bold attribute (which would probably mean introducing a separate
> > face for this, instead of reusing org-warning). But expanding the
> > calendar window is a more general solution, as it fixes the problem for
> > (almost) any face.
>
> I introduced a new face `org-date-selected' which is now the one in use
> in the calendar and which is not bold.

Thanks for the fix. I notice that the new face's dosctring still says
"Face for deadlines and TODO keywords", which needs changing.

Was there some reason to reject Eli's suggested fix of enlarging the
calendar window by 1 line? As it stands, if anyone customizes the new
org-date-selected face to be bold (the highlighted date *is* a little
less visible now), it will cause the same problem as before. And the fact
that it's caused by making the font bold is not at all obvious...at
least, it wasn't obvious to me! Eli's fix works more generally.

Anyway, since I now know how to patch things if I do decide I want a bold
font, it's not a big issue for me.

In the patch I posted, I also took the opportunity to set `cursor-type'
to nil when opening the calendar in `org-read-date'. The cursor obscures
one digit of the selected date, making that bit harder to read (as well
as looking ugly). Did you intend to reject this change too?

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group

email: address@hidden
web:   www.dr-qubit.org