Re: [O] Capture feature suggestion: place the mark from a template

From: Colin Fraizer
Subject: Re: [O] Capture feature suggestion: place the mark from a template
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 05:22:21 -0400

Nick Dokos wrote:
>Maybe - but in this particular case, you could just go to the end of the
>buffer with  M-> (end-of-buffer), right?

Yeah.  I could just do that.   (Blushing with embarrassment. :-)

>And there might be a problem with your proposal: if I push a bunch of
>marks during the capture, what happens after the capture is done? Are
>they still on the stack? If so, should they be?

I guess I was mostly thinking of capture using indirect buffers, which
have their own marks and mark rings, right?  Does ":unnarrowed" use the
actual buffer instead of an indirect one?

If so, I can see a couple options (and we've already established that there
are lots of options I don't see):
- If you don't like capture to set the mark, don't set it. :-)
- Arrange for clean-up in the case of org-capture-kill and (maybe?)
org-capture-finalize.

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>You could also use a prompt for the headline.  Or we could allow several %?
>in the buffer, with a simple key to jump to the next one and delete it.....

Yeah, I could do that too.  I don't know why I didn't consider that.  I
guess
because I'm so used to the "pop-up" nature of the capture window.

I'm not sure I would like/use the "multiple %?" approach.

Another reason I can imagine for wanting to place the mark with capture
is to define the region.  (Being old, I'm somewhat ambivalent about this
new-fangled "light-up" "active" region. :-)  I can imagine wanting to
place the mark and point (with %?), typing some stuff, and then wanting to
M-w (kill-ring-save) that text.

--Colin