Re: [O] mail integration, advice?

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: [O] mail integration, advice?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 21:08:26 +0100

Hi Eric,

>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:34:46 -0400, Eric Schulte said:

  > Myles English <address@hidden> writes:
  >> I use gnus, offline imap, dovecot, notmuch, msmtp, bbdb3.  And
  >> org-mode capture including links to emails works fine.
  >>
  >> The end result is very good and stable through updates

Having said that I did have trouble with offlineimap 6.4-ish and so i am
still on 6.3.3-1 but 6.5.2 is out so will give that a go soon.

  >> (I am using Arch Linux too) but I have to say though it did take a
  >> LOT of configurating.
  >>

  > As a long-time user of gnus with imap my only complaints are the
  > inability to work offline and the relatively poor sorting rules of
  > my web-mail imap servers.  It sounds like dovecot and offline-imap
  > could solve both of these problems.

  > Was the offline-imap/dovecot combo difficult to configure?

Mostly, it was not difficult, the one thing that was tricky was setting
up dovecot to handle more than one account.  I ended up doing this:

# leave as the default setting
mail_location = maildir:/home/myles/Maildir

# specify a password file
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
  default_fields =
  deny = no
  driver = passwd-file
  master = no
  override_fields =
  pass = no
}

# in /etc/dovecot/passwd overide the maildir for each of my three accounts:
mylesenglish:{plain}PASSWD_FOR_MYLES:1000:1000::/home/myles::userdb_mail=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/mylesenglish
rh:{plain}PASSWORD_FOR_RH:1000:1000::/home/myles::userdb_mail=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/rh
ed:{plain}PASSWORD_FOR_ED:1000:1000::/home/myles::userdb_mail=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/ed

  > Are there perhaps online instructions to which you could direct me?
  > FWIW I also use Arch as my OS.

I remember this was quite useful if a bit outdated, it is a bit skimpy on
Dovecot though:

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

The command 'dovecot -a' is useful to dump your config to stout then you
can easily tell what you have changed in between attempts.

I imagine that because you are already /au fait/ with gnus you have half
the battle won.  If need be I can dump my whole config but then where is
the fun in that?

Good luck.

Myles