Re: [O] [OT] mail integration, advice?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] mail integration, advice?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 18:45:23 -0400

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Myles English <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Matt,

>>>   > So, I'm wondering what solutions other org users have settled
>>>   > on.
>>>
>>> I use gnus, offline imap, dovecot, notmuch, msmtp, bbdb3.  And
>>> org-mode
>>> capture including links to emails works fine.
>>>
>>> The end result is very good and stable through updates (I am using
>>> Arch
>>> Linux too) but I have to say though it did take a LOT of
>>> configurating.
>>>

>> As a long-time user of gnus with imap my only complaints are the
>> inability to work offline and the relatively poor sorting rules of my
>> web-mail imap servers.  It sounds like dovecot and offline-imap could
>> solve both of these problems.
>>
>> Was the offline-imap/dovecot combo difficult to configure?
>
> No.

Thanks to you and Myles for your respective advice on this setup.  I'm
now using offlineimap+dovecot to read almost [1] all of my email.  I'll
share my config in case anyone else is interested in trying out this
combination of tools.

I'm using the following very basic dovecot config [2], with the
following offlineimap config [3], and gnus config [4].  This was all
very easy to setup.

Now my email system should be complete.  At least until I decide I need
to switch from using free webmail servers to running my own remote IMAP
server.

Thanks,

Footnotes:
[1]  Due to a weird issue on my school's imap server I must issue the
     LIST command as 'LIST "mail" "*"' instead of 'LIST "" "*"'.  I
     haven't yet figured out how to port this workaround to offlineimap.

[2]  $ dovecot -n
# 2.1.5: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.3.3-1-ARCH x86_64  ext4
mail_location = maildir:/home/eschulte/mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
ssl = no

[3]  $ cat .offlineimaprc
[general]
accounts = gmx
maxsyncaccounts = 1

[Account gmx]
localrepository = gmx-local
remoterepository = gmx-remote

[Repository gmx-local]
type = IMAP
remotehost = localhost
remoteport = 143
remoteuser = eschulte
preauthtunnel = MAIL=maildir:$HOME/mail/me /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
holdconnectionopen = yes

[Repository gmx-remote]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.gmx.com
remoteuser = my-email-address
remotepass = my-password
remoteport = 993
ssl = yes

[4]
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq
   gnus-select-method
   '(nnimap "gmx"
            (nnimap-stream shell)
            (nnimap-shell-program
             "MAIL=maildir:$HOME/mail/me /usr/lib/dovecot/imap")))
#+end_src

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/