Re: [O] how to install org from git repo / org-version problem

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] how to install org from git repo / org-version problem
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:10:45 +0200

Hi Achim,
* Achim Gratz <address@hidden> [17. May. 2012]:
> Gregor Zattler writes:
>> Thanks for your suggestion, I did cd to working copy did
>>
>> make update autoloads
>>
>> was astonished that this pulls from the repo, saw the compiling
>> and the generation of the manual, started Emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs
>> but the result of org-version is the same, e.g. no version string
>> shown.

O.K. I do make update autoloads  and therefore I do this test
with

Org-mode version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-564-g893a09 @
/home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/)

(e.g. with your patch ensure that M-x org-version always delivers
something useful applied)

> Well, try something different then.  First off, check you have these two
> files in the lisp directory:
>
> org-install.el
> org-version.el

~/src/org-mode[GIT]$ find |egrep "org-(install|version).el"
./lisp/org-version.el~
./lisp/org-version.el
./lisp/org-install.el~
./lisp/org-install.el

The files are there.

> This is what 'make autoloads' should produce.  Check that you do _not_
> have org-install.el or org.el (or any .el file, really) in the directory
> that you start Emacs from.  Then do:

cd /tmp
0 address@hidden:/tmp$ find |egrep "\.el$"
1 address@hidden:/tmp$

no *.el files in /tmp

> emacs -q -no-site-file -Q -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp -l org-install.el

0 address@hidden:/tmp$ Emacs -q -no-site-file -Q -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp -l
org-install.el table-indentation-test.org

> Do
>
> M-x locate-library
> org
> M-x locate-library
> org-install
> M-x locate-library
> org-version
> M-x org-version
>
> in that Emacs and tell me what you get in *Messages*.

Library is file ~/src/org-mode/lisp/org.elc
Library is file ~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el
Library is file ~/src/org-mode/lisp/org-version.el

>> And with respect to the original problem:  The table is not
>> indented.
>
> My guess is that this will resolve itself once you find out why the
> above isn't working as it should.

Your guess is correct.  Thank you very much.

Ciao, Gregor
--