Re: [O] Entities

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Entities
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:53:39 +0200

Hello,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <address@hidden> writes:

> There's a small bug in rendering the entities when org-pretty-entities
> is on (I get the feeling that org-pretty-entities is not a very
> commonly-used feature). The entities \sup1 \sup2 \sup3 and \there4 are
> not rendered properly. The regex detecting entities apparently doesn't
> catch numbers at the end, except for the special case of fractions. I've
> added the others to the special-casing and attach a patch for it; I
> hope I managed to include the changelog properly (is git format-patch -
> -attach the way to go?).

This looks good. You should add a title to your patch, like "Fix
detection of entities ending with a number" or "org-entities: Add some
entities".

Also, please capitalize the word after the colons.

> Also attached is another patch that might or might not be useful.
> Sometimes it can be a problem when you can't type, say, asterisks
> around a word when you NEED asterisks around the word, not a boldface
> word (I'd been getting around it by using Unicode characters that look
> like asterisks, like ∗). The way to do it right is to use the \ast
> entity, which expands to the right thing but doesn't affect
> formatting. There's also already a \tilde entity, to allow putting in
> tildes without accidentally setting something verbatim. I added
> entities for the remaining markup characters: \plus, \under, \equal,
> and \slash. \under might be particularly handy when avoiding
> subscripting (which raises the question of if there should be an
> \asciicirc (or something) entity for ^ also).

I think they are all useful. Though, asciicirc already exists as circ.

Could you modify slightly your changelogs before I apply the patches?

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou