Re: [O] Batch execution and --script

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Batch execution and --script
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:13:31 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is that somewhere in the manual or Worg? Perhaps it should be added. I
> never contributed to Worg, I will look into how tonight.

The --script is described in the emacs manual, but no example is
provided.  Adding it to Worg (maybe with a two-stage explanation:
trivial "Hello World" example, followed by an org-specific example)
is a good idea.

For contributing to Worg, see the "Maintenance of Worg" section:

    http://orgmode.org/worg/#sec-4

> This is a subject that should be explored more. I see a lot of
> potential in having CLI .el scripts (i.e taking the emacs GUI out of
> the equation).

Note that you could do this even before --script was invented:

  emacs --batch -l /path/to/somefile.el

is exactly equivalent to the --script invocation of somefile.el, which
in turn is more or less[fn:1] equivalent to stuffing the above command
line into a bash script file, making *that* executable and running it.
The --script method is a bit more convenient but it is just "syntactic
sugar".

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] There is an extra fork/exec of bash in this method, but that's about it.