Re: [O] things I don't understand about tables

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] things I don't understand about tables
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:07:27 -0500

Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The minibuffer is read only when I try to type -2 and S-left generates
> > some symbols like = and [ but does not change the highlighted date.
> >

> When I did c-c . and got current date with surrounding virtual calendar
> months, I noticed the cursor was positioned to the left of the = sign on
> line 25.  When I moved it to the right of the = sign I was able to key in
> -2 and then I hit enter and this time the date moved back two days!
>  Thanks much for the help provided.  I don't have to use Windows or excel
>  for this task now.

Is line 25 the minibuffer? And when you say the = sign, is that part of the
"live display" of what org thinks you mean? There is an ASCII arrow => followed
by the current candidate for a date (I believe that's an overlay: when I try
to move to the right, my cursor skips all the way to the right after the "live
display").

I'm not sure what's going on in your case, but in my case, I press

 C-c . -2 RET

and it works: I don't have to move the cursor anywhere before I type the -2.

Nick