Re: [O] [ANN] e-latex back-end: changes to attributes syntax

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] e-latex back-end: changes to attributes syntax
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:27:35 +0100

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 01:58:09PM +0100, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >>     Images accept `:float', `:placement' and `:options' as attributes.
> >>     `:float' accepts a symbol among `wrap', `multicolumn', and
> >>     `figure', which defines the float environment for the table (if
> >>     unspecified, an image with a caption will be set in a "figure"
> >>     environment).  `:placement' is a string that will be used as
> >>     argument for the environment chosen.  `:options' is a string that
> >>     will be used as the optional argument for "includegraphics" macro.
> >>

> Since Beamer back-end doesn't redefine how images are handled, you can
> use the same properties as above, within an attr_latex keyword.

Okay thanks.  :)

> About special environments for plain lists, I'm unsure if this is a good
> idea. AFAIK many don't support overlay specifications so it would lead
> to errors when one provides both a special environment and an overlay,
> i.e.:

> #+attr_beamer: :environment inparaenum :overlay "+-"
> - item 1
> - item 2
>
> Also, Beamer has its own way to render standard lists (through themes)
> and it could cause problems with foreign packages.
>
> On the other hand, I can still make it easy for an user to shoot himself
> in the foot: code-wise, it is cheap. What do you think?

Personally I think having the option to shoot myself in the foot is
preferable over not being able to configure.  But then others may not
agree.  Is it possible to disallow :overlay when :environment is
provided?  If so you could generate a warning during export.

That said, the way I see it, most widely used list-like environments are
of the "new item on a new line" kind (which are supported by overlays).
I wanted to use inparaenum for ease of editing, in my slide I wanted an
inline list (where overlays aren't really needed).  So setting the two
attributes simultaneously is probably very unlikely.

I am quoting my use case below in case that helps the discussion.
Something like item (1) would have been nice, however I ended up using
(2).

  1) Asymmetries can be constructed that are,
     #+attr_beamer: :environment "inparaenum" :options "i)"
     1. CP-odd,
     2. CPT-odd and
     3. T-odd

  2) Asymmetries can be constructed that are, i) CP-odd, ii) CPT-odd and
     iii) T-odd.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--
Suvayu