[O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment

From: Neil Best
Subject: [O] remote execution in heterogeneous environment
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:48:40 +0000 (UTC)

I run Macport's Emacs and ELPA's Org on my Mac but my data lives in a
Red Hat environment.  I thought I could edit locally and compute
remotely but there seems to be a problem with temp files for executing
source blocks.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /midway:~ echo "Executed by `whoami` on `hostname`
in `pwd`" #+END_SRC

Results are empty and in the message buffers appears this:

executing Sh code block...  Tramp: Opening connection for midway using
ssh...

Opening connection for midway using ssh... \ Tramp: Opening connection
for midway using ssh...done Tramp: Encoding region using function
`base64-encode-region'...done Tramp: Decoding region into remote file
/ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN...done
byte-code: Couldn't write region to
`/ssh:midway:/var/folders/2y/qrw3hhkx0dlb9sbl51mjy5wm0000gn/T/sh-510999vN',
decode using `base64 -d -i >%s' failed

I suspect this has something to do with how Emacs asks OSX for temp
file names.  Can anyone confirm this?  Is there a work-around?

Ultimately I want to inspect the environment where the remote
execution is happening.  We use a system called Modules [1] to
customize $PATH, etc. When I try this:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :dir /midway:~ module list #+END_SRC

I get "sh: line 1: module: command not found" which makes me think
that the command is running on the local system where Modules is not
installed.  How does this square with the discussion at [2]?

[1] http://modules.sourceforge.net/

[2]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-03/msg00071.html