Re: [O] Using Org/babel for Emacs config files

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Using Org/babel for Emacs config files
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 02:04:55 +0100

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I am not completely convinced to convert my config to org/babel but
> I am not oppose either. Not sure, if there are that many advantages,
> that it is worth my effort, that's all.

its a bit like writing with LaTeX - in some simpler but common cases its
just great to write your stuff in Org and simply press a few keys for
the LaTeX export. But dealing with LaTeX AND Org-mode when writing a big
complex document might not be such a good idea, there will be enough
problems with LaTeX only.

I must admit I went back from Org-based multi-file config to a single
big .el init file because of two reasons:

- I frequently found myself looking for stuff in the tangled .el files
  instead of the .org files, because I was only interested in the lisp
  code and did not want to see all those comments in the .org files.
- after figuring out that I can have full outline functionality in .el
  files too, the (in my eyes) main advantage of an org-based config was
  gone.

Otherwise I really liked the org based starter-kit, it was well
organized and definitely better than what I had before.

--
cheers,
Thorsten