Re: [O] How to improve Org startup time?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] How to improve Org startup time?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:39:24 +0100

Hi Nick,

Thanks for looking into this as well!

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In particular, you'll see that *16 seconds* are "lost" between 21:20:30 and
>> 21:20:46. They correspond to the executiong of just *one line*:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>   (org-agenda-to-appt)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> This may have something to do with my big amount of Org files in
>> `org-agenda-files': 36 at this point. But is that so big??
>
> I don't think so.

I'm sure it is, as I wrote (removed from the joined log) a "message" call
before and after that line, and those time-stamps were 16 seconds one from the
other.

> Can you get a profile?

You're right I should use real tools for that...

> M-x elp-instrument-package RET org-agenda RET
> M-x org-agenda-to-appt
> M-x elp-results
>
> In my (admittedly unchallenging, run-of-the-mill) setup, I get
> (with everything already loaded):
>
> org-agenda-to-appt                                            1
> 0.053846964   0.053846964
> org-agenda-prepare-buffers                                    1
> 0.028483817   0.028483817
> org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    8
> 0.024222044   0.0030277555
> org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      8
> 0.0154506449  0.0019313306
> org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     8
> 0.004179949   0.0005224936
> org-agenda-skip                                               184
> 0.0027937810  1.518...e-05
> org-agenda-files                                              2
> 0.001386068   0.000693034
> org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      8
> 0.001288303   0.0001610378
> org-agenda-format-item                                        22
> 0.0012140690  5.518...e-05
> org-agenda-get-blocks                                         8
> 0.0007851970  9.814...e-05
> org-agenda-new-marker                                         44
> 0.0006114019  1.389...e-05
> org-agenda-skip-eval                                          368
> 0.0001511950  4.108...e-07
> org-agenda-todayp                                             16
> 0.0001342800  8.392...e-06
> org-agenda-fix-displayed-tags                                 22
> 7.2914e-05    3.314...e-06
> org-agenda-get-category-icon                                  22
> 1.8382e-05    8.355...e-07
> org-agenda-time-of-day-to-ampm-maybe                          6
> 3.347e-06     5.578...e-07
>
> A factor of 300: maybe it's real, but let's make sure first.

Here it is. I don't know how to interpret that difference, tho.

org-agenda-to-appt                                            1
19.673        19.673
org-agenda-prepare-buffers                                    1           18.86
        18.86
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    36
0.7970000000  0.0221388888
org-agenda-files                                              37
0.5440000000  0.0147027027
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      36
0.5150000000  0.0143055555
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      36
0.1580000000  0.0043888888
org-agenda-skip                                               612
0.1410000000  0.0002303921
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     36          0.047
        0.0013055555
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         36          0.046
        0.0012777777
org-agenda-format-item                                        42          0.031
        0.0007380952
org-agenda-skip-eval                                          1204        0.016
        1.32...e-005
org-agenda-fix-displayed-tags                                 42          0.0
        0.0
org-agenda-todayp                                             72          0.0
        0.0
org-agenda-new-marker                                         89          0.0
        0.0
org-agenda-deadline-face                                      2           0.0
        0.0
org-agenda-get-category-icon                                  42          0.0
        0.0

Best regards,
  Seb

--