Re: [O] [ANN] Merge of new export framework on Wednesday

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Merge of new export framework on Wednesday
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:37:35 +1030

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I would echo this sentiment.  Org mode from master has no business in a
> production environment, just like any other software project.

Although I agree, in principle, with this statement, life is not always
so straightforward.  I track org for my day to day use because I find
some of the new features that appear quite useful.  However, I do also
rely on some form of stability for certain tasks.  These are conflicting
desires and I realise that this is *my* problem!

However, I also am concerned at the move to the new exporter without
documentation.  This move appears premature if the documentation is not
yet ready, not even in a draft form.

I have been using the new exporter for many tasks but have not
completely moved over for two: generation of beamer presentations and
publishing of web pages.  The latter is probably not a major issue for
me but the former is.  I simply have no idea how to convert my old org
beamer files to the new exporter as there is no documentation at
all.  The source code (org-e-beamer.el) is of some help but not enough
for me to know how to convert, in particular, slides with blocks and
columns.

Maybe it will be trivial to convert.  However, I have been unsuccessful
in finding anything on the mailing list that describes how to.  This
could be my fault in not searching properly, of course, so I would
welcome any pointers to relevant emails.

My solution will be to not update org until that documentation is
available.  Not a major problem but frustrating nonetheless.

By the way, in case this email is taken the wrong way, I am in no way
upset or angry!  And I really appreciate all the work that has gone into
the new exporter: it works brilliantly for those aspects that I have
figured out and is a great step forward for org overall.

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org 7.9.3e-897-g787a07