Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:21:58 +0100

I've just looked at how to implement this using org-element and the new
exporter.  Much to my dismay I found that table headers are not a
separate row or row group type and the new exporter is still using this
"everything before the first separator is a heading" kludge.  It's easy
enough to introduce a second type of separator in org-element (BTW, I
don't think that 'rule is a particularly good symbol name for this) by
adding another type of table rows, but then these lines get ignored by
the new exporter.  While the logic used there is amendable (not as
easily), it would be more hackish than I hoped.  Also, it appears that
each element can have only one property or did I miss something?  It
seems that having a way to get the (main) property and then asking if
there are sub-properties on that element would allow simpler code in
this particular instance and likely elsewhere.  Maybe I missed how to do
it, though.

The cleanest way to implement this would be if being a header would be a
property of the row group (maybe returnable as the sign of the row group
number).  There'd be two types of separators, "|-" and "|~".  If the
line past the end of a row group is "|~", then it is a header group,
otherwise it is a normal group.  This is incompatible with tradition,
but it would allow to use row groups in formulas without introducing
unwanted headers.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Achim.