Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] org-exp-bibtex missing in git?
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 14:38:17 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

>>> It would be good to integrate citations in export framework, so we do
>>> not rely on an external tool and \cite{...} constructs.
>>>
>>> We already got rid of \ref{...}.
>>>
>>> Maybe something like [cite:....]. org-element could parse this, and
>>> ox.el provide some tools to access data. Then each back-end could deal
>>> with them.
>>>

>> This would be truly *awesome*.  This is the major barrier blocking truly
>> cross-backend export.
>>
>> The data would be still from bibtex files?
>
> No idea.
>
> That's why specifications must be discussed first. What [cite:...]
> entries (if we agree on that syntax) should provide?
>

> Regards,

Some thoughts on this.

For me, citations are more than links but also include information on
formatting (\citep) and on what to use in the citation (\citeauthor).

I am not sure on how far an org-mode implementation of citations should
go, but from a LaTeX-targeted view, they could support
1. different citation commands (\cite, \citep, ..., \footfullcite)
2. pre- and postnotes
so that it'd be possible to have something like this generated in LaTeX
export:
\footfullcite[prenote][postnote]{key}

Eric suggested/uses this format (thanks for sharing, Eric):
  [[cite:jones-etal-2000][Jones et al., 2000]]
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
             key           displayed in org

So, a possible extension of that could, for instance,
use a third pair of [] as in
  [[cite:jones-etal-2000][Jones et al.,
2000][[citationcommand][prenote][postnote]]]
             key           displayed in org

If org only supports \cite (or only \cite and \citep), for serious
writing I'll still have to use LaTeX commands.

On the other hand, since I don't (yet?) see a chance to support any of
that for a different backend than LaTeX it might be overengineered to
support these at org-modes side?

Regards,
Andreas