Re: [O] Org-mode documentation within Emacs

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode documentation within Emacs
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:23:56 +0200

Sebastien Vauban writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Karl Voit writes:
>>
>>> The repository[1] does contain the doc-directory. I compiled the whole
>>> Org-mode repos including the doc sub-tree. So no compile error while
>>> the docu is generated.
>>>
>>> "C-h i" was my first guess but it does not list Org-mode at all :-(
>>
>> This is what I have in my configuration files:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info")
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Don't play with `Info-directory-list', it's not intended to be settable by the
> user. Set the `Info-default-directory-list' variable instead.

I just tried it, and now I no longer have org in my info directory. Here
is the value of Info-default-directory-list

("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/org/info"
"/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.3-mac-4.1/share/info/emacs/"
"/usr/share/info/")

and here is the value of Info-directory-list

("/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.86" "/usr/share/info/")

As it's the latter that is used to find the info files, it means that it
won't find org. It seems that it is initialized before my initialization
file can add the directory to the default value. (I'm using the startup
kit, if it makes a difference.)

I just read the help on "Info-directory-list", and it does not say I
should not set it. Why is it bad? And how should I make emacs pick up
the value from default?

Thanks,

Alan