Re: [O] Adding new heading results in "not in an item"

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Adding new heading results in "not in an item"
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:39:11 +0200

Hi Johan,

Johan Ekh <address@hidden> writes:

> Marc: I use git for installation and I don't think I have any old
> files in my load path. I have the files in my home directory but the
> compiled files are installed in the system emacs/site-lisp.

The compiled files *are* in your load-path, because Emacs loads them
when you launch it.  This is in /usr/.../emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el, which
contains pointers to the autoloaded functions.  Some Org's functions
are autoloaded by Emacs, and these are functions from an older version
than the one you installed manually.

> Victor: Good, but please help a newbie. How do I apply this patch?

You don't need to install this particular patch, you just need to
updated your Git installation.

~$ cd org-mode/  [change with the relevant path]
~$ git pull
~$ make

This pull latest master branch and compile Org.

Or you can do:

~$ cd org-mode/  [change with the relevant path]
~$ make update

> Finally, I noticed that adding a new heading works with Ctrl-RET. But
> I still want M-RET to work!

Please follow the instructions above and report any problem you may
have afterwards.

HTH,

--
 Bastien