Re: [O] Using Eric Schulte's starter kit with org mode from source

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Using Eric Schulte's starter kit with org mode from source
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:29:54 -0600

Alexander Poslavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan Schmitt writes:
>
>> Eric Schulte writes:
>>
>>> --8< snip
>>>
>>> Yes, the starter kit waits to load on the after-init-hook so that the
>>> Emacs package system will be fully loaded.  That is why the other file
>>> you load on the command line is loaded first.
>>
>> Then asynchronous export can't work, as it needs ox in that file. I've
>> changed my init.el to loading org before the after-init-hook, and I go
>> further but then I have an error about the "koma-letter" being
>> unknown. It seems that to go this way I would need to load all of my
>> export settings before the after-init-hook.
>
> I had problems with mixed up org-versions [1]. The starter-kit uses
> org-babel to create the lisp files Emacs needs.
>
> To solve this, I added org-mode-from-git's load-path to init.el, before
> require org. After that things worked for me.  The down-side is that
> your init.el is no longer the same as the starter-kit's, which makes
> upgrading a bit harder.
>
> Alex

It sounds like this is general a problem.  I've just added a portable
way to load Org-mode from the init.el.  It will now be possible to load
a local Emacs from source by setting the ORG_HOME environment variable.
If this variable is defined then Org-mode will be loaded from that
directory.

Note, this addition to the load path now happens *before* the
after-init-hook, so it may help with Alan's original problem as well.

See [1] for more information on this change.

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:
[1]
https://github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit/commit/99107e9ee84c2935a614d7ac809aa27bce63c037