[O] unexpected appearance of x^2 in pdf file

From: Paul Stansell
Subject: [O] unexpected appearance of x^2 in pdf file
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 18:25:08 +0100

Dear list,

I may be under a misapprehension, but I expected the pdf output
(created by C-c C-e l p) from the attached org file to show similar
results for both lines.  Instead, however, the simple

  x^2

outside of the verbatim environment puts the caret above the 2 even
though I have set

This seems to be because org-mode exports x^2 as x\^2 in the tex file.
 I think exporting it as x\^{}2 would give a better result.  Is there
another way to get the appearance I'm looking for without using the
verbatim environment?

Thanks for your advice,

Paul

PS. I'm using Emacs 24.2.1 with Org mode 8.0.2.