Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET turn current line of text into a heading?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:26:09 +0200

Hi everyone,

yes, thanks for making this table, Samuel.

I think the functionality is a bit overkill, in particular the implementation
with pressing M-RET twice for special functionality.  This becomes too
confusing, I think.

The elementary function of M-RET is continue in the current list/outline.
C-RET is a way to get out of list environments and to get a new heading.
Both are entirely necessary when taking notes, IMO.

So I would propose the following adapted version of Samuel's table:

|-------------+------------------+--------+--------------------------------|
| command     | context          | pos    | action                         |
|-------------+------------------+--------+--------------------------------|
| c-ret       | any              | any    | create headline below entry    |
| m-ret       | headline or item | beg    | create new above header/item   |
| m-ret       | headline or item | middle | split                          |
| m-ret       | headline or item | end    | create new below header/item   |
| m-ret       | line             | beg    | turn into headline, this is    |
|             |                  |        | just a special case of split   |
| m-ret       | line             | middle | turn rest of line into heading |
| m-ret       | line             | end    | new heading after line         |
| C-o M-ret   | line             | beg    | new heading before line        |

There was discussion about `C-c *'.  For me the main application
of this command it to turn an item into a headline, and to turn *several*
lines into a series of headline (by selecting the lines first) - this is
a very frequent application when I paste text that I then need to structure.
Nobody mentioned this in this thread, so maybe this feature is not known
well enough.

- Carsten