Re: [O] link abbreviation with multiple params, e. g. for geo locations

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] link abbreviation with multiple params, e. g. for geo locations
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 09:18:03 -0600

Hi Michael,

> Is release_8.0.3-207-g5dc5143 the change you mention?:

yes

>     commit 5dc5143578a2759611a5856de9bf9d1c7eba9283
>     Author: Eric Schulte <address@hidden>
>     Date:   Thu Jun 6 10:59:27 2013 -0600
>
>         inline sets org-babel-current-exec-src-block-head
>
> In this commit I see two issues which my patch does not have:
>
> 1) The variable name org-babel-current-exec-src-block-head is the same
>    as for a different meaning (source block head) and purpose introduced
>    in release_8.0.3-202-gf301bbc
>
>        commit f301bbcc862c2acc61749bc1e24895bf69cd4d06
>        Author: Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden>
>        Date:   Thu Jun 6 12:04:02 2013 +0200
>
>            make src block location available to execution backends
>
>    but in release_8.0.3-207-g5dc5143 the same name is used for the
>    point-marker of "call_func" which is misleading.

Perhaps the variable name should be updated, but this extension is
simply a generalization to include inline code blocks as well.  I don't
find it misleading.

>    In my patch I named the variable "loc" for Location Of Call.

In the technical pigeon spoken in my own circles loc has a well
established meaning, namely "line of code".

>    And I chose intentionally a name as short as possible to keep the
>    "#+HEADER:" lines not getting too wide, see e. g. the ERT in my
>    patch.
>
> 2) Export is not supported ("C-c C-c" works as expected).

I can't reproduce this bug.  The following Org-mode file.

# #+PROPERTY: exports results

# Two examples using `org-babel-current-exec-src-block-head'.

* head
  :PROPERTIES:
  :foo:      bar
  :END:

In a block.
#+name: head
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get org-babel-current-exec-src-block-head "foo")
#+end_src

In a call line.
#+call: head()

* tail
  :PROPERTIES:
  :foo:      baz
  :END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get org-babel-current-exec-src-block-head "foo")
#+end_src
exports to the following latex

    % -*- latex -*-
    \section{head}
    \label{sec-1}

    In a block.
    \begin{verbatim}
    bar
    \end{verbatim}

    In a call line.
    \begin{verbatim}
    bar
    \end{verbatim}
    \section{tail}
    \label{sec-2}

    \begin{verbatim}
    baz
    \end{verbatim}

Although I think there may well be improvements to be made to the
current approach, e.g. a different variable name, or saving a list of
call locations instead of just the first call location, I've yet to see
a motivating example where the existing solution is inadequate.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte