Re: [O] serious problems with org-8 under Xemacs-21.5.32

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] serious problems with org-8 under Xemacs-21.5.32
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 05:32:06 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
>
> In order to check whether org-8 works under Xemacs-21.5.32 Mule (and not
> using my old org-7 setting), I did the following
>
>     -  I started xemacs -vanilla (equivalent to GNU emacs -q)
>
>     -  I loaded the following init file:
>

> ,----
> | (push (expand-file-name
> | "~/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/org-8.0.3/lisp/") load-path)
> | (push (expand-file-name
> | "~/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/org-8.0.3/contrib/lisp/") load-path)
> | (push (expand-file-name
> | "~/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/org-8.0.3/contrib/odt/etc/schema/")
> | load-path)
> |
> | (require 'org-compat)
> | (require 'ox)
> | (require 'org-install)
> `----
>
> I opened an org file. Observations
>
>     -  the file was in *fundamental* mode!

You need to set up auto-mode-alist in your init file:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist   '("\\.org$" . org-mode))

>     -  I turned on org-mode and received and error I attach.

The error is[fn:1]:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-state "Autoloading failed to define
function" outline-previous-heading)
  outline-previous-heading()
  org-cycle-show-empty-lines(overview)
  run-hook-with-args(org-cycle-show-empty-lines overview)
  org-cycle-internal-global()
  org-cycle((4))
  org-set-startup-visibility()
  call-interactively(org-mode)
  command-execute(org-mode t)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

so xemacs found an outline.el that did not define
outline-previous-heading. Check which outline.el xemacs finds with M-x
locate-library RET outline RET. It's probably a compiled file, but the
corresponding outline.el should be in the same directory, or you might need to
get a source package with the xemacs .el files to find it. Check what version
it is, compare it with the emacs version, check whether it includes
outline-previous-heading (probably not, hence the error).

Crossing fingers and toes, you might try using the emacs outline.el but
unless you are really lucky, it's probably not going to work.
Which will mean that somebody will nees to port a recent outline.el from
emacs to xemacs. An xemacs specific mailing list seems the best bet for
that.

>     -  I tried to use org-preview-latex-fragment and received a
>        different error (also attached)

The error here:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function face-at-point)
  face-at-point()

Presumably xemacs does not have face-at-point.

>     -  I tried to use org-submit-bug-report and received third error.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function call-process-shell-command)
  call-process-shell-command("command" nil nil nil "-v" "x11idle")

and it does not seem to have call-process-shell-command. This is
a thin wrapper around call-process (which xemacs should have), so
this should be easy to port.

> Any comments?
>
> thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Can you please make sure that when you send attachments they are
typed properly? They are sent as "application/octet-stream" currently,
requiring two steps: saving them and then opening the saved file. For
backtraces, just use "text/plain" instead: emacs/gnus knows how to open
these directly.

--
Nick