Re: [O] What the difference between the non-source blocks?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] What the difference between the non-source blocks?
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 14:48:03 +0200

Hello,

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> I usually use my gut feeling to decide if I use an EXAMPLE or a QUOTE or
> a VERSE block. I would prefer to have a kind of mental decision like
>
> ,---------------
> | if A
> |   then EXAMPLE
> |   else if B
> |     then QUOTE
> |     else VERSE
> `---------------
>
> or so. So what would be a complete list of these "verbatim" environments
> in Org-mode, and how could their chacteristics be described in a few
> words? Can I find that in the manual or somewhere else?
>
> In section 15.2. Easy Templates I find
>
> | block   | use for? |
> ---------------------
> |EXAMPLE  |          |
> |QUOTE    |          |
> |VERSE    |          |
> |CENTER   |          |
>
> Is this a complete list? What are the criteria to choose one or the
> other?
>
> Thanks for tips or a related link.

>From the most restrictive environment to the least one:

  - example block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
                     and the end of the block) and line breaks are
                     preserved. No Org syntax whatsoever is recognized
                     within. This is like a source block without
                     a language (you can number lines...).

  - verse block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
                   and the end of the block) and line breaks are
                   preserved. Org objects are recognized (e.g.,
                   emphasis) but not elements (e.g., paragraphs)

  - quote block and center block :: They can contain anything, including
    elements (e.g., paragraphs, lists...). Center blocks center their
    contents (duh!) and Quote blocks make them stand out in some way.

Nicolas Goaziou