Re: [O] Finding LAST copy of a given headline in a file

From: Subhan Tindall
Subject: Re: [O] Finding LAST copy of a given headline in a file
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:39:08 -0700

Yes, you are correct, file+datetree does not do this.  A while ago I suggested a file+datetree+headline type function be added, but it was not received well.
I attempted a function for use with file+function, but couldn't get it quite working.
I'm not quite sure how to use org-map-entries to find headlines?
Thanks!
Subhan

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Subhan,

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 03:29:10PM -0700, Subhan Tindall wrote:
> Have template that inserts itself under the LAST entry in the target file
> for a given headline

What problem do you have with the above?  Can you give us a minimal
example?

> composes the right strings to use file+olp to find the specific headline
> under the current date's date-tree heading.
> For example, I have a date tree with **** Ticket X under each of several
> days, including today's date.
> I want to insert an entry ***** What I did today   with some additional
> information under **** Ticket X for today.
>
> *  2013
> ** 2013-07-25
> *** 2013-07-24 Wednesday
> **** Ticket X
> ***** LOG ticket X stuff for Wednesday
> *** 2013-07-25 Thursday
> **** Ticket X
> ***** LOG ticket X stuff
> **** Ticket Y
> ****** Log ticket y stuff

Date trees can be tricky.  As far as I understand, you want to add a
subheading to entries for a day.  I do not think file+datetree can do
that.  I would recommend you try file+function instead.  It should be
easy to implement.  You could use org-map-entries to find the headline
in your headline finding function.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT