Re: [O] (Emacs 23/24 binary compatibility): defstruct, setf

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] (Emacs 23/24 binary compatibility): defstruct, setf
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 02:44:54 +0530

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think existing *.elc files compiled against Emacs-23.2.1 should load
>> fine on new Emacs versions.
>
> It's indeed an incompatibility I introduced when we switched from CL's
> setf to gv.el's setf, because the two work in a very different way.

In simple terms, the problem seems to be a 24.x style `setf' on a 23.x
defstruct.

NEWS has entries on gv.el and setf-s.  I am not sure which of those
entries "amount" to the above incompatibility.

If we could report on incompatibiliy that would be awesome.  Can the
FIRST EVER setf call make (additional) version checks and report errors.