Re: [O] [dev] New version of org-index.el --- A personal index for org a

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] [dev] New version of org-index.el --- A personal index for org and beyond
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 15:09:19 +0200

Hello Marc,

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,
>
> please find attached version 2.3 of org-index.el.
> See also http://orgmode.org/worg/code/elisp/org-index.el
> and the contrib-directory of org.
>
> The most notable feature of this version is an assistant
> which provides easy setup.

I'm trying org-index, and I let the assistant build the table for me. At
the end of the set, this error occurred:

,----
| Saved org-index-id '50E94CE9-06B3-452E-96B6-FA47AA08B9D6' to
/Users/schmitta/.emacs.d/custom.el
| let: No catch for tag: created-new-index, nil
`----

Is this problematic?

Here are a few notes I'm taking as I'm playing with it.

First, the table seems to be different from the one on worg. Here are
the columns I have:

  |     |      |                  |         |               | comment   |
  | ref | link | created          | count;s | last-accessed | ;c        |
  |     | <4>  |                  |         |               |           |

I guess "comment" includes Type, description, and Keywords? Or can I
extend this table as I see fit?

Second, I don't see how to update a link in a table so that it points
somewhere else. Should I just copy the "Property" drawer to the new place?

Also, I noticed it's impossible to create a link to a file. If a file
does not have any org entry, then org-index link will fail with "Before
first headline at position 35591 in buffer ...". I can go around this by
creating an headline, but then I cannot use saveplace or something like
that to put me in the same place in the file (typically at the very end
of a long data table, to input more data).

Finally, what is the workflow to create a new reference? The way I do it
is "link" from the place to link, then call "+fill" in the table. Is
there a simpler way (that would do both in one stroke)?

Thanks,

Alan