Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Charles Millar
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 10:26:22 -0400

Hi Carsten,

On 9/28/2013 2:11 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi everyone,

today I looked at our tutorial page at

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html

and came away with the feeling that that this page has become
somewhat useless for people who are really new to Org.
- I disagree. Your Google talk was just right - for me. It was my first exposure to Org Mode.

Can we have a discussion here on how this path should look like?
When you came to Org-mode as a newby, what were the three resources
that really made an impression on by being accessible and
providing feel and promise for digging deeper?
About three years ago I stumbled across Org Mode when I was searching Emacs in general. (I already was familiar with Emacs, but only to "fool around".)
After viewing the Google talk, I specifically searched Org Mode. The three resources that made an impression:
- the general tutorials, starting with David O'Toole's,
- the Compact Guide with the Further Readings, (I did not look at the ones in the Org Manual) since this gave me a sense of how Org is and can be used, and
- the mailing list, which was the one resource that has made the greatest impression on me from the beginning. It has been and is my best resource; it provides the greatest exposure to Org Mode both as to its uses and sense of the Org community.
- Thank you Carsten, Bastien and all the rest if you for Org Mode.

Charlie Millar