Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:01:29 +0200

Hi,

I have to correct myself, I could use the link created by thunderbird
drag and drop. I simply missed to put the link into quotes.

This works, thunderbird will open the message in a new view.
thunderbird -mails
"imap://address@hidden:993/fetch>UID>/INBOX>1274"

However, the drawback with this, the url is rather fragile. It relies
on the folder and a simple number. I am not sure how much one could
rely that this number is always the same. Maybe imap or thunderbird
compress the list of emails by time effectively renumbering each email
in a folder. Furthermore, if I move the mail to another folder my
org-mode link would be broken too.

Thunderlink (a thunderbird plugin), instead is able to fetch the
message-id, which is unique and independent on the mail position. If
there is an interest to extend the drag and drop to emails, I could
ask the developer of thunderlink if there is a way to change the drag
and drop url to the message-id e.g. with the help of his plugin.
Thunderlink itself works already quite well with org-mode. The newest
version on git-hub allows to create direct org-mode links which one
could simply copy and paste from the clipboard. Guess only a small
amount of work would be needed to make it drag and drop ready too.

One could also think of saving the email as plain text in the org-mode
folder and create a link to that. However, I frighten this would
require more work. One idea would be to fetch the email by the message
id from the imap server from within emacs. But I guess this would
create a large amount of dependencies to make this working.

Greetings

Torsten