Re: [O] [babel] Output table

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] Output table
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 22:04:51 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm trying to generate R graphs from lines found in the *Messages* buffer
>> with
>> the following code of mine:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
>>   (setq txt nil)
>>   (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
>>     (goto-char (point-min))
>>     (while (re-search-forward
>>             "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
>>             nil t)
>>       (setq txt (concat txt (format "%s" (match-string 1)) "\n"))
>>       (princ txt)))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> However, the results is always an example block, NEVER in an Org _table_ --
>> and
>> I don't understand why. Does anybody?
>
> I bet because ":results output" in Emacs Lisp is only interpreted as a
> string.  You're better off just returning a list with something like the
> following.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
>   (let (txts)
>     (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (while (re-search-forward
>               "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
>               nil t)
>         (push (match-string 1) txts)))
>     txts)
> #+end_src

I guess you meant ":results value", then?  Because "output" does not return
anything with your code.

As you can imagine, though the list could be processed by R, the fact it's not
a table makes it unreadable as is in the Org buffer and in a generated PDF (at
least, without extra conversion blocks).

See http://screencast.com/t/QVd0VDLYE1.

Would there be a way to get a proper table more directly?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban