Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:16:05 -0600

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I cannot reproduce the problem.
>>
>> In the .tex file or in the .pdf?
>
> Both.

Weird.

>> I know that #+begin/end_example works properly, so I took a look at
>> the difference between them:
>>
>> \begin{frame}[fragile,label=sec-1]{begin src}
>>  \begin{verbatim}
>> a <- "Test of whitespace preservation"
>>
>> b <- cat("Let's see what happens when we spill",
>> "onto multiple lines but want the text",
>> "being passed to cat() to be aligned")
>> \end{verbatim}
>> \end{frame}
>
> I don't know why or how you get this, but this has nothing to do with
> `org-src-preserve-indentation' since there in no global indentation in
> your code (i.e., a line starts at column 0).
>
>> \begin{frame}[fragile,label=sec-2]{begin example}
>>  \begin{verbatim}
>> a <- "Test of whitespace preservation"
>>
>> b <- cat("Let's see what happens when we spill",
>>          "onto multiple lines but want the text",
>>          "being passed to cat() to be aligned")
>> \end{verbatim}
>> \end{frame}
>> \end{document}
>>
>> Source blocks are exported with what appears to be some sort of tab
>> character;
>
> You can use C-u C-x = in order to know what it is.

Here's what I get:

             position: 754 of 1188 (63%), column: 0
            character: TAB (displayed as TAB) (codepoint 9, #o11, #x9)
    preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x09
               syntax:   which means: whitespace
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #x09
            file code: #x09 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: no font available

I checked my locale, and it's set to en_US.utf8 (Arch Linux)

> What happens if you run (org-export-execute-babel-code) on your Org
> buffer?

I'm not used to running functions. I placed this in the document,
selected the text, and did `M-x eval-region`. Nothing appears to have
happened, but the *Messages* buffer printed out: "org-babel-exp
process R at line 9..."

Does that help any?

John