Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 17:44:00 +0100

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The purpose is to be polite with minor modes and to not use
>> C-c [:punct:] keybindings, as recommended in the Elisp manual.
>>
>> This is related to the issues reported here:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-01/msg00866.html
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/82010
>>
>> Here is a table to summarise the proposal:
>>
>> | Key   | Command                           | Proposal         | Status |
>> |-------+-----------------------------------+------------------+--------|
>> | C-c # | Checkboxes                        | C-c x            | Free   |
>> | C-c ~ | Cooperation                       | C-c C-~          | Free   |
>> | C-c , | Priorities                        | C-c C-,          | Free   |
>> | C-c ? | Editing and debugging formulas    | C-c C-?          | Free   |
>> | C-c ! | Creating timestamps               | C-c C-!          | Free   |
>> | C-c . | Creating timestamps               | C-c C-.          | Free   |
>> | C-c ` | Built-in table editor             | C-c C-`          | Free   |
>> |-------+-----------------------------------+------------------+--------|
>> | C-c ' | Editing and debugging formulas    | C-c " or C-c C-' | Free   |
>> | C-c ^ | Structure editing, plain lists... | C-c C-^          | Taken  |
>> | C-c @ | Structure editing                 | C-c <            | Taken  |
>>
>> The order is from the less problematic ones to the more problematic ones.
>>
>> A few comments on the last three:
>>
>> - " is not a punctuation character, I find C-c " instead of C-c ' good.
>>

> On a QWERTY keyboard or Dvorak keyboard, " requires Shifting, so you
> have to switch horses midstream (first Control, then SHift). Not sure
> about anybody else, but those are the most problematic key sequences for
> me. I would much prefer C-c C-': you just keep the Control key pressed
> for the duration.

I agree that it's better if we can avoid letters needing a 'secondary'
key.

Unfortunately, I think this wish is hard to meet when considering
several layouts.

For me the following keys need shift or Alt-Gr: ^, ", `, !, ?, and ~.

Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!