Re: [O] Wanted: volunteer to integrate REST-client (restclient.el)

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Wanted: volunteer to integrate REST-client (restclient.el)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:13:42 +0100

Hi John!

* John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you could do this via requests directly. It could be done in emacs:
> https://github.com/tkf/emacs-request

Thanks for the pointer.

I evaluated it and it seems not that good for my requirements
because I need it mainly for documenting stuff/issues/...

With request.el, I need lots of lines per call whereas restclient.el
needs only three lines which can be written, read, adopted pretty
easily.

> or python: http://docs.python-requests.org/en/latest/
>
> In your case you could have a block like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python
> import requests
> headers = {"Authorization": "Basic YmVfcmVzdF9hZG1",
>            "Accept-Encoding": "application/xml"}
> r = requests.get("http://myserver/rest/dothis";, headers=headers)
> print r.text
> #+END_SRC

This would be completely OK to me.

Unfortunately, cygwin does not come with "python-requests" and I
failed at installing "pip" on my Windows machine [1] :-(

Probably restclient.el has also a unique feature which is neat for
my purpose: pretty printing XML responses.

So I guess I have to stick with my current method which is using the
*scratch* buffer and manually switching to restclient-mode and
copy&paste the request and the results from/to my Org-mode buffers.

However, thanks for the great links!

  1. "python get-pip.py" runs without error message but then I can
     not execute nor find pip(.exe) at all :-(

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github