Re: [O] change JS & CSS paths when publishing?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] change JS & CSS paths when publishing?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 23:01:17 -0400

Ooops, forgot to send to the list!  Forwarding my last reply to
Bastien, and then answering my own question below, sort of:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I would like to provide those lectures on the web for my students.
>>> (Ideally, in fact, I would like to provide a couple of versions of
>>> each lecture:  one deck slideshow, one plain html, and maybe one pdf
>>> or odt version.)  Howver, the deck publish ocmmand writes paths to the
>>> local copies of deck's css and js files. I would like to rewrite these
>>> paths in the published files, to use the version of deck on my server
>>> instead.
>>
>> IIUC, you can use something like this in your file:
>>
>> #+DECK_BASE_URL: http://some/server/url.js
>
> I would like to use the local copies of the deck.js files when I
> simply export to deck; but server copies when I publish.  So I think I
> would need a simple function like this that modifies the buffer before
> (or, I guess after!) it gets written to a *published* (but not
> *exported*) file:
>

> (defun mwp-update-published-paths ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((case-fold-search t))
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while (search-forward "/home/matt/src/deck.js" nil t)
>       (replace-match "http://sandbox.hackinghistory.ca/Tools/deck.js"; t t))))
>

> I just am not quite sure how and when to run it, and what argument to
> pass it (like, can I do normal buffer operations, or do I need to
> operate on the file contents as a string or something?).

I found an easy way around my problem, by writing my own trivial
publishing function:

-----------------------
(defun mwp-org-deck-publish-to-html (plist filename pub-dir)
    "Publish an org file to deck.js HTML Presentation.
FILENAME is the filename of the Org file to be published.  PLIST
is the property list for the given project.  PUB-DIR is the
publishing directory. Returns output file name."
    (let ((org-deck-base-url "http://sandbox.hackinghistory.ca/Tools/deck.js/";))

    (org-publish-org-to 'deck filename ".html" plist pub-dir))

    )
-----------------------

Then I just set :org-publishing-function to
mwp-org-deck-publish-to-html, and I'm all set.

There are doubtless more elegant ways to do this but this will do for
now.  Now I just need to figure out a better way to manage images -- I
like to keep them all in the same place, and I need to keep my course
lectures in different directories, so it would be nice to be able to
use absolute file links.  But there's probably a way around that as
well.  For now I'm pretty happy!

Thanks again,
matt