Re: [O] Tasks with lots of logbook entries are very slow

From: Peter Neilson
Subject: Re: [O] Tasks with lots of logbook entries are very slow
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 04:31:51 -0400

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 04:10:02 -0400, Pere Quintana Seguí <address@hidden> wrote:

El 25/03/14 19:27, Marcin Borkowski ha escrit:
Dnia 2014-03-25, o godz. 16:00:01
Pere Quintana Seguí <address@hidden> napisał(a):

I log most of my work with org-mode. Some of my tasks are repetitive,
this is, I do them weekly or daily (i.e. empty mail inbox). After many
years, the logs are very long. As a consequence, marking these tasks
as done is *very* slow.

Is there a workaround that does not involver deleting the logs?

Archiving?

No, archiving would'nt work, as I need the task every day.

Thanks for the tip.

Pere

Perhaps this will help:

Standard method for log maintenance outside of org is to rotate logs into archive. The current log is only for the current day (or month, week, or year). Other criteria, such as log size, can be used to trigger rotation. Rotation cuts off the current log, archives it, possibly deletes truly ancient logs, and starts a new current log. Look up the Linux logrotate command for further info. Here's one description: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/07/logrotate-examples/