Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 16:15:23 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Bastien,

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>> What will be copied to the temp-buffer? Only the comment-section at
>> point? The subtree at point? The (outcommented) element at point? Won't
>> some Org functions fail without the subtree/buffer context? What if text
>> is inserted as side-effect? E.g state change logs when going from TODO
>> to done, or even footnotes?
>
> Well, I don't know.  Again, all this feels certainly dirty, but I'm
> trying to find something that will feel less awkward than making tons
> of Org regexps relative to their contexts, including the context for
> non-org-mode buffers...

I thought about a very low level solution, i.e. at the syntax table
level, giving "^ ... $" a different meaning, but thats a bit over my
head and I have my doubt if its possible at all.

BTW, I think I already implemented your idea for when porting the speed
commands to outshine:

,--------------------------------------------------
| (defconst outshine-speed-commands-default
|   '(
|     ("Outline Navigation")
|     ("n" . (outshine-speed-move-safe
|             'outline-next-visible-heading))
|     [...]
|     ("j" . (outshine-use-outorg 'org-goto))
|     ("g" . (outshine-use-outorg 'org-refile))
|     ("Outline Visibility")
|     ("c" . outline-cycle)
|     ("C" . outshine-cycle-buffer)
|     ;; FIXME needs to be improved!
|     (" " . (outshine-use-outorg
|             (lambda ()
|               (message
|                "%s" (substring-no-properties
|                      (org-display-outline-path)))
|                (sit-for 1))
|             'WHOLE-BUFFER-P))
|    [...]
`--------------------------------------------------

This `outshine-use-outorg' function does more or less what you talk
about:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(eval-after-load 'outorg
  '(defun outshine-use-outorg (fun &optional whole-buffer-p &rest funargs)
     "Use outorg to call FUN with FUNARGS on subtree.

FUN should be an Org-mode function that acts on the subtree at
point. Optionally, with WHOLE-BUFFER-P non-nil,
`outorg-edit-as-org' can be called on the whole buffer.

Sets the variable `outshine-use-outorg-last-headline-marker' so
that it always contains a point-marker to the last headline this
function was called upon.

The old marker is removed first. Then a new point-marker is
created before `outorg-edit-as-org' is called on the headline."
     (save-excursion
       (unless (outline-on-heading-p)
         (outline-previous-heading))
       (outshine--set-outorg-last-headline-marker)
       (if whole-buffer-p
           (outorg-edit-as-org '(4))
         (outorg-edit-as-org))
       (if funargs
           (funcall fun funargs)
         (funcall fun))
       (outorg-copy-edits-and-exit))))
#+end_src

So maybe I should stop insisting on an org-minor-mode, because outshine
and outorg together already do the trick?

I just thought it would be better, faster and more powerfull if Org's
regexps would be more abstract and Org functions could act directly in
the programming mode buffers.

--
cheers,
Thorsten